Dimensions of Success is a STEM Education Quality Measurement Tool developed by the Program in Education, Afterschool and Resiliency Institute at Harvard University.
Why use DoS at your program?
• Allows you to use a research-based, consistent tool for measuring the quality of STEM activities in your afterschool or summer programs
• Encourages self-reflection among your staff members in a nonthreatening, non-evaluative way
• Provides a method of reporting program characteristics and strengths in STEM teaching practices to your funders, sponsors, partners/parents
• Pinpoints specific areas for professional development so you can target weaknesses instead of providing general support
• Provides evidence to support your decisions about resources to purchase, staff to hire, and partnerships to build
Getting Started: DoS Training
- Register at least 2 program leaders or staff members for the August 2012 online DoS Training by e-mailing Ashima Shah (email@example.com) with your interest.
- DoS training is tentatively scheduled for August 14 & August 15 2012 from 8:30am -12:30pm.
- The DoS TrainingPackage includes:
- 8 hours of online training
- DoS Tool (Descriptions of 12 dimensions and 12 rating rubrics)
- Access to PEAR database system to enter data
- Customized Calibration Session (after you complete 3-4 observations, PEAR will help you reflect on your data and improve your use of the tool)
- Quarterly DataSummary Reports
- PEAR Certification in DoS (valid for 2 years-can renew with booster training)
The Training Package is$250/person. Participants from programs that acted as observation sites for ouryearlong data collection efforts will be able to attend training and becomecertified for a reduced rate of $125/person.
If you have any questionsabout how DoS can be used by your staff, or how it can help you improve STEMprogram quality, please feel free to contact Ashima Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org.